From the bustling streets of Amsterdam to the charming countryside towns, the Netherlands is a country that offers much more than just its famous tulips and windmills. Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or a first-time visitor, these insider tips will help you discover a side of the country that’s full of surprises and hidden treasures, so you can experience the Dutch culture like a true fashionista.
- Savor the Unique Dutch Cuisine: Move over, fast food chains! It’s time to indulge in the authentic Dutch cuisine that’s packed with flavors and traditions. From the hearty stamppot with mashed potatoes, veggies, and bacon, to the raw herring called haring, served with onions and pickles, Dutch cuisine will take your taste buds on a journey. Don’t miss the deep-fried doughnut-like oliebollen that’s perfect for a sweet snack on-the-go.
- Discover the Art of Dutch Gin: Gin lovers, this one’s for you! Explore the centuries-old tradition of gin distilling in Amsterdam and Rotterdam, and discover the unique flavors and aromas of Dutch gin, also known as jenever. Join a gin tasting tour and learn about the history and craftsmanship of gin making, and don’t forget to take a bottle or two home as a souvenir.
- Go Beyond the Tulip Fields: The Netherlands is home to some of the most stunning botanical gardens in the world, and the Hortus Botanicus Amsterdam is a must-visit for every fashion-forward traveler. Explore the Garden of Medicinal Plants, the Palm House filled with tropical plants, and the outdoor butterfly garden. You’ll leave feeling inspired and rejuvenated.
- Get Lost in Dutch Street Art: Amsterdam is the perfect destination for those who appreciate urban art and graffiti culture. Join a street art tour of the coolest neighborhoods, such as De Pijp or NDSM Wharf, and discover hidden murals, graffiti, and art installations. Get your hands dirty with a graffiti workshop led by a local artist and create your own masterpiece.
- Experience the Dutch Festival Scene: The Netherlands is a country of festivals, and there’s always something to celebrate. From the colorful King’s Day celebrations in April to the epic dance parties of Amsterdam Dance Event in October, the Dutch know how to party in style. Don’t miss the techno festival, Awakenings, or the Rotterdam Film Festival that showcases the latest international films.
These insider tips for Netherlands travelers will help you explore the country beyond the cliches of tulips and windmills, and experience the culture like a true fashionista. So, pack your most stylish outfits and get ready to discover the hidden gems of the Netherlands.